Relief Veterinarian Needed
Great Plains Zoo
The Great Plains Zoo is looking for a veterinarian to provide part-time relief coverage. The zoo is an AZA-accredited institution located on 45 acres of city park land in Sioux Falls, SD. It is home to a wide array of mammal, avian, and reptile species. Currently, the zoo employs one full-time veterinarian. A relief veterinarian is being sought to work monthly weekend on-call shifts and rare weekday shifts.
Under the direction of the staff veterinarian, the Relief Veterinarian is responsible for providing medical care to collection animals at the Great Plains Zoo and wildlife admitted through the zoo’s raptor rehabilitation program. Duties include evaluation of emergent concerns, diagnosis and treatment of illness and injuries, provision of prescribed care to convalescing animals, and maintaining availability during on-call days. While some experience with zoo and exotic species is preferred, some training with the staff veterinarian will be provided prior to the Relief Veterinarian beginning to provide coverage.
Required Education and Experience:
• Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Veterinary Medical Doctor (VMD), or equivalent degree from an AVMA accredited college of veterinary medicine or equivalent.
• Possess a license to practice veterinary medicine in the United States.
• Possess (or obtain) a State of South Dakota Veterinary license.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Working knowledge of exotic, zoo, and/or mixed animal care.
• 2+ years of experience working as a clinical veterinarian
• Familiarity with ZIMs, ezyVet, or other similar digital medical records software
Coverage and Availability Requirements:
• Attend two (minimum) weekday training shifts with the full-time veterinarian
• Availability to provide on average one weekend of relief coverage per month
• Remain within a 60-minute radius of the zoo during all relief shifts
• All relief shifts are scheduled with the full-time veterinarian in advance
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send resume/CV and contact information to lwright@GPZoo.org.